Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Taking The Stage

So there's a new reality show on MTV centered around students at the School for Creative and Performing Arts in downtown Cincinnati. And, as much as I hate reality shows, I decided to give it a chance. After all, it is about kids from my hometown area.

Big mistake.

I was hoping that the show would actually focus on their classes or their "strive to be the greatest" or however the ads portrayed it. But, it's just like every other MTV show. The drama is the focus because drama is what the average MTV viewer thrives on.

I'm a little sad about that. Not that I expected a group of high school students to paint Cincinnati in the best light, but it would at least be nice for them to rise above. At a young age, they already have an idea of what they want out of life - or I at least suspect that they do, since they took the initiative to go to a performing arts high school. It's just disappointing that they come across like every other kid, no matter how wayward.

Maybe next time I'll listen to my instincts about reality TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment